Tuesday, February 10, 2009

There will be a short pause in the sanctity of human life theme. I'll resume again in a day or two.

I was tagged by soccerma18 to receive:

The Honest Scrap award:

A) First list 10 honest things about yourself - and make it honest (hence, the award 'Honest Scrap'), even if you have to dig deep!

B) Pass the award on to 8 bloggers that you feel embody the role of the Honest Scrap. (This is an award only to display on your blog that everything you write on it is in truth, sincerity, and integrity.)

So I can honestly say that:

1. I hate pecan pie. No matter how it's made, I just don't like it. Actually, I think it's the cooked pecans that I don't care for, 'cause I'll eat raw pecans all day long. My daughter doesn't care for pecan pie either.

2. I hate insincerity. I don’t mind joking around, and that’s not what I mean. I’m talking about people who tell you what you want to hear.

3. I don’t do well with large groups of people. It’s not a fear issue, but I grow incredibly moody if I’m bombarded by too many people for too long.

4. I don’t like going to prayer meetings. *gasp* (I know, I can’t believe I said it, either.) Maybe it’s my ADD kicking in, maybe it’s my insincere attitude, but I get really antsy in prayer meetings and I grow weary of listening to people pray for long periods of time. To me, prayer is a very personal thing that is between me and God. I understand the value and necessity of corporate prayer, and I don’t discount it, but I don’t want to participate. I don’t like praying out loud, but I’m always willing to do it. I guess I’m funny that way. Maybe I’m just selfish…

5. I loathe traffic lights. In a perfect world, everyone would yield to me so I wouldn’t have to stop for those insane lights!

6. I don’t like it when people who LIVE in the United States don’t speak English. I’ll grant some grace for a new immigrant who hasn’t had the opportunity to learn English, but I am intolerant of people who move here but refuse to speak my language. I especially dislike it when I pick up instructions and they are in another language. Or, even more so, when you go to a restaurant where the menu is in another language….WHOPPERS!

Now for some positive things…

7. I always get a lump in my throat when I hear the National Anthem, and I dearly love our soldiers who face danger every day so that my kids can sleep in peace.

8. I think Ronald Reagan was the best thing since sliced bread.

9. I think it’s funny that sliced bread is the standard of comparison for every new thing that comes along, and it has been surpassed by virtually every new thing that comes along. Does that make sense?

10. Although I don’t like Valentine’s Day, I’m a big fan of expressing your love for your one true love. I always participate in Valentine’s Day, but on my own terms. I never celebrate it on the 14th. Sometimes I’ll do it a few days early; sometimes a few days later—but it’s always on my terms, and not the corporate, pressure-driven, … yadda yadda.

11. I have to fight back tears when I watch “It’s a Wonderful Life” every Thanksgiving.

Oops, that’s too many. Maybe I should delete one of these…

Well, I’m supposed to tag others. So, here goes…

Amy. She has a fantastic new book out that everyone needs to buy.
Alison. If I have to do this, so do you!
Rosslyn. This woman never ceases to amaze me.
Gwen. Her tender heart is so eloquently expressed through incredible articles.
Kate. She's the strongest person I know, and there are few I appreciate more.
Tex. She's from Texas! What's not to like?
Gzusfreak. She has the coolest design to a blog, and her site is interesting to boot!

Okay, that's enough joy spreading. If' you've already been tagged, have no fear. I won't hold your feet to the fire.

14 comments:

Rosslyn Elliott said...

Hi!

I'm touched by your Honest Scrap award. Thank you! I'm also looking forward to our chance to meet in Carlsbad.

I'll post my response to this tag tomorrow.

Tracy said...

What fun - thanks for sharing! Ok, first, I think everyone should make way for me! ;-) Second, I agree w/ you assessment of P. Ronald Reagan. Third, I always cry at the National Anthem and It's A Wonderful Life (but we watch it every Christmas Eve). Great list!

KM Wilsher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KM Wilsher said...

Wow - really? *First and foremost, I'd like to thank our Father in --
What? Ok, I only have two minutes?
*And my mom and my first grade teacher for their --
What? Oh, its not an Oscar? Oh, and I don't get to make an acceptance speech . . . (microphone beeps loud shrill feedback)o - oops Excuse Mr. Spielberg, I'm on the wrong show, excuse me.
JK :)
Thanks for the Honest Scrap Award, Travis. I can't think of anyone who has more Honest Scrap than you!
Just kidding - I think you are the best Texan I know, and that's saying something. And your humor is an inspiration! (everyone says uh oh!)
BTW, your link doesn't connect to my blog, so in case someone wants to see my honest scrap: gzusfreek.blogspot.com
Oddly enough, I'm not surprised by any of your ten -- eleven honest scraps! Well, except maybe the prayer meeting, but I'm sure a lot of us feel that way. Maybe our prayer meetings should be prayer hikes or prayer bike rides. . . I love a mountain top experience!
Have a good day, Travis!

Travis said...

Rosslyn-
I didn't want to tell everyone that I was going to meet you, 'cause I didn't want to make everyone jealous! It will be a great day!

Tracy-
We will make way for you...Come on down!

KM-
You crack me up. I was forced to smile when I realized your prayer was going to go on and on and on...But be careful, Alison, another fine Texan, might take offense to your choosing a favorite. Now, I expect great revelations from you, so don't let me down.

Alison Bryant said...

Hmmm...I guess I'll have to rise to the occasion and actually do a post.

Oh, and I think I'm newly inspired for this week's Sunday school. I think it's high time that we had an all-prayer hour, praying especially for those who are against prayer. =)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I did it...

http://theknowlesexperience.blogspot.com/2009/02/we-play-freeze-tag-up-here.html

Thanks, Travis!

Travis said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's honesty.

After the fall out of my honesty, I was dragged by some priests into an old cathedral where demons were exercised from my soul all night.

Boy am I tired.

Billy Coffey said...

You just may be a long lost relative...

Jennifer Taylor said...

The language thing bothers me as well. My agent is a Texan!

Avily Jerome said...

Hey Travis!

Sorry I haven't been around in awhile... crazy life keeps jumping up on me!

I have to agree with most of your honest things, particularly #6! :)

Lavonda Pflug said...

Hi Travis (and any one else who gives a rip)! All we Texans are a special breed. If ya don't believe us, just ask one of us! LOL! And we are SO humble too!
I was happy to see your honest scrap. I got tagged with the same award. It's fun to read other honest scrap. I know what you mean about prayer meetings. I love 'em myself because I love prayer, but I get antsy when we spend an hour praying for nothing but illnesses of people who are kin to someone that someone works with. As if ill people are the only one's that need prayer. I agree with #2. Remind me not to meet you at an intersection. I'm with ya on #6 so coming from a boarder state, I stay ticked. #7--me too.
Feel free to come over and check out my "scrap" too!

Travis said...

Jennifer-
You have an added burden. You have to deal with Yankees ever so often, being that close to the Mason Dixon line. God give you the grace to handle it! (Most of them speak some kind of English dialect. I'll never be able to order a hamboiga and wahta.

AJ- No worries. I know how busy we all are. EVentually we all get caught up. I do miss you when you're not around, though.

Tex- I've been keeping up with you. My cell phone won't let me leave comments, even though I can read the blog. Her list is fantastic, by the way. Ya'll should stop and check it out.
http://writeforhim.blogspot.com/2009/02/is-it-award-or-is-it-tag.html