Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Lever Long Enough

Have you heard about the new book by Amy Deardon? Well let me tell you, it's incredible.

In the not so distant future, the Israeli military has developed a prototypic time machine. As expected, believers in Yeshua (Jesus) create a politically explosive situation that threatens the balance of peace between Israel and nearby countries. The desperate secular Israeli government decide to send a team of four elite soldiers back to film the theft of Jesus’ body from the tomb and thus disprove Christianity. The team, consisting of a Special Forces soldier, an ex-American astronaut , an archaeologist, and a linguist, has exactly seventy-two hours to collect the video evidence.

Once the team jumps into the first century, they are drawn into a web of deception and death—the only way to escape is for the team to change the past. Meanwhile, back in the present, a traitor attempts to sabotage the mission and seize control of the military complex.

The Special Forces leader operating in the past is the only one who can reveal him, but he is trapped two thousand years away. Even with a time machine, time is running out...

Amy nailed this story. She created a balance between sci-fi and reality in a way you imagine this could actually happen. If you like suspense, this is your story. Furthermore, she also melted romance and action into a fast paced story that continually accelerates as it nears the end.

I couldn't believe how Amy concluded the story. To be honest, I was a little angry about it because she was impossible to out guess. What I expected to happen didn't. What I wanted to happen didn't. But that's a good thing, because she far exceeded my limited imagination. If you like twists, this story is for you.

I'm not a big fan of end-times fiction. It's too predictable and too boring. This story might have some elements of Israel on the brink of war, a threatened peace process, and a snaky politician who has his own agenda, but this is not typical end-times nonsense. The way Amy ends this story will make you stop and retrace the story line to see if you can catch the twist.

I might not be very good at analyzing books, but I can read people very well. I'm proud to call Amy my friend. She is a genuine believer who struggled with the truth until she finally surrendered to Christ based on historical and scientific evidence. Great job, Amy! I hope I'm not out of place to say that Amy is working on another story line with some of the same characters. If that next story is anything like Lever, then count me in.

14 comments:

Billy Coffey said...

Totally agree, Travis. I was lucky enough to win a copy of Amy's book in a raffle on her blog. It's a great read and well worth anyone's time.

Tracy said...

Sounds really good! I'm totally intrigued now. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

SWEET. I have a copy, I can't wait to dive into it. I think it'll be on the ACFW book club read for February or March...I can't remember. So, if you're in ACFW, go to the bookclub section join, and vote for her book to be chosen, read, and discussed.

Yeah, Thanks for the review, Travis. You did a good job reviewing it!

Unknown said...

Okay, you've got me, like Tracy, a bit (very actually) intriqued now!

But isn't that how God is? We expect one thing but then it often goes as unexpected or even unplanned?

I have so many books to check out now that I don't know where to start.....they all sound so amazing. I guess, just one by one by one....but they will all take me awhile with my little kids and all, but if ya'll all say it's worth the read than I'll take your word on it. I'm looking forward to Amy's book as well as readings. Thanks for sharing this; you sound very enthusiastic about it, which makes me want to run off and buy it now.....
:D

Travis said...

Thanks, Lynn. Your encouragement is not wasted!

ALL-
Please do consider going to the ACFW and voting on Amy's behalf. She has a hard rival going up against her, so it's going to be an interesting competition.

Get more info on voting by visiting Amy's blog:

http://amydeardon.blogspot.com/

KM Wilsher said...

Great review, Travis.

I've talked to a couple readers and it's on my booklist, and I voted for it on the ACFW book club read.

Your review is terrific! Thanks for sharing. I'm chomping at the bit!

It's such an exciting time for Amy. Go Amy!

Avily Jerome said...

Great review, Travis!

I also won an advanced reader copy of her book, and I enjoyed reading it. I'll be doing a review on it sometime in the near future.

Sarah said...

Oooh. This book sounds good! Great review.

I haven't won a copy of her book, but I'm happy to go buy one!

Amy Deardon said...

I'm overwhelmed. What a wonderful review, I feel so humbled. Travis, thank you! I wrote this book to the skeptic I used to be; it presents the case for and against the resurrection fairly, and demonstrates (by established facts, not fictional miracles) that the case for the resurrection is remarkable. This is God's book, and I'm praying that He will use it as He will.

Alison Bryant said...

Sometime I'd love to hear more of Amy's process of developing this story...how long the plot took, etc. Hmmm...a "behind the scenes" documentary!

Jessica Nelson said...

Ooh, I have this book but haven't read it yet. Thanks for the great review! Really whets my appetite.

Travis said...

Jessica-
You won't be disappointed.
Thanks for stopping by!

Lavonda Pflug said...

Sounds like a good read. I've got a long list of books I want to read. I might just add this one to it.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Come back and read some more. I'll be answering your question about my short third grade year soon.
I'll come back and read some of your older posts just as soon as I can get a few free minutes.
From one ranch kid to another, Happy Trails!!!

Travis said...

Hey, Tex!
Thanks for stopping by. I do want to see your third grade post, so I'll stop by in a few and check it out.

You might find my next story interesting...Its about a treasure hunter searching for lost Spanish gold around the Cap Rock in West Texas. I'll try to get that one up today, if I can find the time.